Sunday, March 31, 2013

Starting Gate

I used to go to the race track with my dad.  Before each race, I liked to watch the horses being led into the starting gate.  Once they were all in, the track announcer would say that all the horses were in and ready.  That is the beautiful thing about opening day.  All the teams are at the same place.  Everyone has an equal shot when the gate opens.

At this time tomorrow, if the Mets win, they will be in first place.  I don't expect it to happen.  If it does, I don't expect it to last.  The point is that as of this moment, the Amazins are tied with the other teams in the division.  The Braves, Phillies, and Nationals may look better on paper, but they don't play on paper.  Some friends ask me whether I follow this reality show or that one.  I reply that the only reality tv I watch is sports, and the new season is upon us.  Break out the popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment