Monday, April 6, 2015

Opening Day and the over/under

After waiting for what seemed an eternity, Opening day has arrived.  The main reason that it has seemed like an eternity is that I have been waiting for this opening day for years!  In 2012, I joked that the Mets slogan for that year was "Mets 2012- check back in 3 years!"  I also joked that the Mets were going to honor the 50th anniversary of their inaugural season by repeating it.  Every spring people would respond to my pessimmism by saying, "Ya never know."  To which I replied, "Actually, as a matter of fact, I do."

Last season, they finished with a 3 month stretch of average baseball, a marked improvement.  A once-in-a-generation talented ace in Matt Harvey was out, and David Wright was beaten all to pulp.  Having Wright and Harvey healthy, Lagares gaining experience, Duda gaining confidence, I felt this team would be better.

They are in a tough division.  Washington has earned its favorite status, and while the Braves no longer own us, they still lease a few shares.  The over/under for wins this season should be 88.  This should be close to the playoff threshold.

1 down, 161 to go.  Let's go Mets!

No comments:

Post a Comment