Friday, July 18, 2014

Scheduling problems

I'm not a big fan of the all-star break anymore.  I'm glad that Daniel Murphy made the team.  It was a great way for Derek Jeter to take a curtain call for all of baseball as he has been great for the game- scandal free, all class, his career is a throwback to the Yankee classics.  The home run derby bores me.  I'm a Mets' fan what do I know from Home runs?

I want to see baseball.  There was no Met's game on Monday, an all-star game on Tuesday, no game on Wednesday, did anyone play on Thursday?  My Mets did not.  Here it is, Friday, I'm jonesing for some baseball and where are the Mets?  The way the heck out in San Diego!  First pitch 10 pm!  What's that about?  Here's a tip MLB- NEVER as in NOT EVER- have a team return from the all-star game in a different time zone if it can be avoided, if not, keep it within an hour.  While I'm on the subject, this applies doubly to the beginning of the season.  Also, if the Toronto Blue Jays have a home game on July 4th, somebody needs to be shot.  Nothing against Toronto, but a US team will be an away team not shooting fireworks.

I used to like the fact that the Reds always had the first game of the season on some opening Monday.  You want to create an event out of opening night on Sunday with only 1 game, fine.  However you dilute the special opening when you have a series several days before that on one of the four continents that don't already revere baseball.  Trust me, penguins won't be fielding a team anytime soon.

I have a couple of suggestions for football, too.  The first two weeks of the regular season should NOT be against division opponents.  They count, but you get 2 weeks at full speed before facing rivals.  You face the other 3 teams only once each by your eighth game.  The last 2 weeks are against division rivals with last year's 1 vs 2 the final week.  It would also be a good idea to give the four teams in a division the same bye week and have them face each other coming off it.

No comments:

Post a Comment